TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: History of Wireless Networking

History of Wireless Networking

Abdul Rahman Malik, Associated Content, Inc (assoc@telecom-digest.org)
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:07:10 -0500

By Abdul Rahman Malik

As we peep in the history of Networking we will find that in 1971, the
researchers at the University of Hawaii developed the world's first
WLAN , or in full form the wireless local area network which was named
as ALOHAnet .The ALOHAnet was supposed to be the bi-directional or two
way directional star topology of the system which included seven
computers deployed over four islands in order to communicate with the
central computer on the Oahu Island without using phone lines for
connection or data transfer.

Genuinely ,WLAN or wireless Local Area Network hardware was so
expensive for the companies that it was only used as an alternative
method to cabled LAN in places where cabling was supposed to be
difficult or impossible for the purposes of data transfer. The early
developments and improvements included the industry-specific solutions
and proprietary protocols but at the end of the 1990s these were
replaced by standards, primarily the various versions of IEEE 802.11
(Wi-Fi) protocols . The alternative ATM-like 5 GHz standardized
technology,the HIPERLAN, has so far not succeeded in the market and
that's why had little demand for installation.But with the release of
the faster 54 Mbit/s 802.11a (5 GHz) and 802.11g (2.4 GHz) standards,
almost very fast and fruitful and authentic means of Wireless
technology .

While in November 2006, the Australian Commonwealth Scientific and
Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) won a legal battle in the US
federal court of Texas against Buffalo Technology which established
the US manufacturer had failed to pay royalties on a US WLAN patent
CSIRO had filed in 1996. The CSIRO are currently engaged in the legal
cases which are related to computer companies including the IT giants
Microsoft, Intel, Dell, Hewlett-Packard and Netgear which argue that
the patent is invalid and should negate any royaltiesbeing paid to
CSIRO for WLAN-based products or applications.

Copyright 2007 Associated Content, Inc.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
http://telecom-digest.org/forum (or)
http://telecom-digest.org/chat/index.html

For more news and headlines, please go to:
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/newstoday.html

Go to Next message: sbertall@yahoo.com: "Claim Your One-Time Phone Excise Tax Refund From IRS"
Go to Previous message: Reuters Tech NewsWire: "7-Eleven Trials Cell Phone Payments"
May be reply: T: "Re: History of Wireless Networking"
May be reply: Bob Vaughan: "Re: History of Wireless Networking"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page