TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Disk Drive Pioneer Al Sugart Dies

Re: Disk Drive Pioneer Al Sugart Dies

Dave Garland (
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 03:19:30 -0600

It was a dark and stormy night when wrote:

> I understand IBM sold off its hard disk drive line recently; I don't
> know why. Peripherals used to be quite profitable.

Whether there's a connection or not, I don't know. But they sold the
line to Hitachi shortly after what appeared to be defects in their
60GXP and 75GXP models of drives. These "DeskStar" drives had become
widely known as "DeathStar" drives, due to drive failures.

Go to Next message: Linc Madison: "Re: Cell Phones and Cancer"
Go to Previous message: Ron Kritzman: "Re: Urban Legend or Never Before Heard of Truth?"
May be in reply to: Associated Press News Wire: "Disk Drive Pioneer Al Sugart Dies"