TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Urban Legend or Never Before Heard of Truth?

Re: Urban Legend or Never Before Heard of Truth?

DevilsPGD (spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net)
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 06:16:39 GMT

In message <telecom25.421.6@telecom-digest.org> panoptes@iquest.net
wrote:

> This seems odd, but it would have the advantage that there is no chance
> of a mis-dial. I wouldn't know whether any such advertiser actually
> bothered. I'm pretty sure TV audio would have been able to produce
> those dialing tones accurately enough.

TVs certainly could transmit the frequency accurately enough. However,
whether it would travel across the room and into your handset is
debatable, unless you have your TV cranked way up, or you place the
microphone extremely close.

> Once tone dial was introduced, there certainly was never a requirement
> that the tone generator be connected to the wall by a wire all the
> way. The Apple Newton had that capability over ten years ago, and I
> remember reports of other portable devices that could dial that way:

> http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.09/09.11/Nov93Editorial/index.html

And on the more modern side, most Palm devices have sufficient audio
capability to dial a phone held near the PDA ... A whole new dimension
to blueboxing, were the billing loopholes not closed years ago ...
http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&prodID=47441

Boom. Boom boom boom. Boom boom. BOOM. Have a nice day.
-- Susan Ivanova, B5

Go to Next message: davidesan@gmail.com: "Re: Urban Legend or Never Before Heard of Truth?"
Go to Previous message: panoptes@iquest.net: "Re: Urban Legend or Never Before Heard of Truth?"
May be in reply to: HOWARD PIERPONT: "Urban Legend or Never Before Heard of Truth?"