TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: The Web is a Terror Training Camp in the USA, Chertoff Claims

The Web is a Terror Training Camp in the USA, Chertoff Claims

Reuters News Wire (reuters@telecom-digest.org)
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:31:58 -0500

Disaffected people living in the United States may develop radical
ideologies and potentially violent skills over the Internet and that
could present the next major U.S. security threat, U.S. Homeland
Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said on Monday.

"We now have a capability of someone to radicalize themselves over the
Internet," Chertoff said on the sidelines of a meeting of
International Association of the Chiefs of Police.

"They can train themselves over the Internet. They never have to
necessarily go to the training camp or speak with anybody else and
that diffusion of a combination of hatred and technical skills in
things like bomb-making is a dangerous combination," Chertoff
said. "Those are the kind of terrorists that we may not be able to
detect with spies and satellites."

Chertoff pointed to the July 7, 2005 attacks on London's transit
system, which killed 56 people, as an example a home-grown threat.

To help gather intelligence on possible home-grown attackers, Chertoff
said Homeland Security would deploy 20 field agents this fiscal year
into "intelligence fusion centers," where they would work with local
police agencies, and cooperative ISPs in identifying dissident users.

By the end of the next fiscal year, he said the department aims to up
that to 35 staffers.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited.

NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the
daily media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra/more-news.html . Hundreds of new
articles daily. And, discuss this and other topics in our forum at
http://telecom-digest.org/forum (or)
http://telecom-digest.org/chat/index.html

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: How about an _honest_ re-write of this
news item, like this: " Michael Chertoff has stated that people who
get most of their news from truthful sources on the internet instead
of relying on the highly sanitized news presented as 'news' by the
New York Times and the talking heads on television are more likely to
have a realistic view of the world and a certain amount of anger
built up inside them when they realize how politicians and other
'authorities' have defrauded and humored them while attemptng
desparately to maintain their own fraud, called 'law and order' in
the USA. Long ago, we got the newspapers and the Talking Heads on
televison and the radio to toe the line, but that damn Internet! It
is a bunch of people talking and thinking for themselves, and we
cannot have that if _we_ are to maintain control. There ought to be a
law against things like Internet!" PAT]

Go to Next message: Michael Liedtke: "Google to Convert Headquarters to Solar Power"
Go to Previous message: Kate Holton: "Music Industry Strikes Again! 8000 New Lawsuits Filed"
May be reply: Steven J. Sobol: "Re: The Web is a Terror Training Camp in the USA, Chertoff Claims"
May be reply: Scott Dorsey: "Re: The Web is a Terror Training Camp in the USA, Chertoff Claims"
May be reply: Herb Oxley: "Re: The Web is a Terror Training Camp in the USA, Chertoff Claims"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page