TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can You Help ID This Problem: Caller Speaks up; Nothing But Noise

Re: Can You Help ID This Problem: Caller Speaks up; Nothing But Noise

deniz.turkmen@gmail.com
10 Oct 2006 09:20:22 -0700

Thanks for the response. I will try to isolate the problem. Thankfully
phone system comes with an internal logging system so when someone
reports a bad call I can look it up and find which landline was having
that problem. So far I don't have enough data to find a pattern (well,
yes first 2 lines are the one with most problems so far but it could be
just because they are used the most).

I am going to hook a phone to line 1 directly and bypass the phone
system, and have my friend call until I have the problem again. Once I
have the problem I will call the technician.

You asked if any other company involved, and the answer is yes. We
have another company for toll-free number. i.e. when customer calls
1-800 number our first line rings, if it's busy line 2 rings, if line
2 is busy line 3 rings etc. I mentioned to that AT&T and the customer
rep told me those companies have nothing to do with line-quality
related problems. Is that true?

Deniz

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That is not necessarily true
either. The trouble could be with the originating telco equipment or
the terminating telco's equipment, although I will grant you since
the tragedy known as 'divestiture' and the follow-up tragedy twenty
years later (AT&T coming back together again under 'new management'
via SBC) originating and terminating telco is probably one and the
same, i.e. AT&T, but still, you should not be mentioning _anything_
to a customer service rep which is likely to short out their little
one-volt brains. Most 800 number suppliers are usually just wholesale
distributors of some distant telcos, and do not handle 'line quality'
issues as such. So I guess she was technically correct in saying
that. I suggest however that you follow instructions recieved here,
and try to isolate the problem to a specific inbound line. PAT]

Go to Next message: Lara Jakes Jordan, AP: "AT&T Gets DOJ Approval on BellSouth Buyout"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Re: Can You Help ID This Problem: Caller Speaks up; Nothing But Noise"
May be in reply to: deniz.turkmen@gmail.com: "Can You Help ID This Problem: Caller Speaks up; Nothing But Noise"