TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:37:34 -0400

<davidesan@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Mr Joseph Singer <joeofseattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I've made it my policy that if I'm waiting in line to be served and
>>> the sales clerk thinks it's *more* important to take a telephone
>>> interruption than to serve me I'll put down my purchase and walk out
>>> of that store. Telephone customers do not have any more clout than
>>> customers who are in front of you.

> I'm a little more lenient. I figure the caller has no idea that
> there's a queue for the clerk's attention. I let the clerk answer the
> phone, and if they're good, they'll put the person on hold, and then
> apologize for the delay. No real loss of time or attention for me. If
> they begin to talk to the person, then I can get upset.

In fact, the same goes for face-to-face service. I once walked into a
picture frame shop and the owner (who was the only person working
there) would not even acknowledge my presence -- he just continued an
ongoing conversation with other people. After 10 minutes of this, I
walked out and wrote him an angry letter. How much would it have cost
him to say, "Hello, I'll be with you in a minute"? It cost him $200
in business not to do so.

Go to Next message: Brian Bergstein, AP : "$100 Laptop May be at Security Forefront"
Go to Previous message: Sam Spade: "Re: It is _Not_ Easy for Teens to Buy Alcohol on the Internet"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"