TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Headset Hack

Re: Headset Hack

W Howard (whoward@login3.srv.ualberta.ca)
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:27:07 UTC

BrianEWilliams <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am addicted to my telephone headset, and I like using a corded phone
> for the sound quality and privacy. Caller ID is a must, and phones
> that have all these features (headsets, wired, and Caller ID) tend to
> be more expensive business models.

> This is the hack I thought of to let me use a cheap Wal*Mart wired
> phone with a headset. Simply wire a connection between the coiled
> handset cord and my headset. There are 4 connectors on the coiled
> handset cord, one for talking, one for listening, and a ground each.

That "ground" is a return current path, but may not be at ground
potential. There is a reason, at least sometimes, why the mike and
speaker do not share their "ground" wire.

> My headset has a 1/8" male stereo jack at the end. The part furtherst
> from the tip would take both the ground wires, and then I just have to
> find which is the mike, and which is the earpiece.

Is there a reason why you don't want to remove the stereo jack and
replace it with a 4P4C modular plug like the telephone handset uses?

> Then I have to find out what the 4 wires in the coiled handset cord
> are and connect them correctly. Is there any reason this won't work?

The speaker part will probably work fine. The microphone part may be
more troublesome if the mike in the headset is a different type than
the one in the original handset. You could wind up losing all the
voice quality that was one of your original objectives.

>> Walt

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Pirate Radio Stations Challenge Feds"
Go to Previous message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - September 25, 2006"
May be in reply to: BrianEWilliams: "Headset Hack"