TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Headset Hack

Headset Hack

BrianEWilliams (sorry_no_email@yahoo.com)
24 Sep 2006 13:33:27 -0700

I am addicted to my telephone headset, and I like using a corded phone
for the sound quality and privacy. Caller ID is a must, and phones
that have all these features (headsets, wired, and Caller ID) tend to
be more expensive business models.

This is the hack I thought of to let me use a cheap Wal*Mart wired
phone with a headset. Simply wire a connection between the coiled
handset cord and my headset. There are 4 connectors on the coiled
handset cord, one for talking, one for listening, and a ground each.
My headset has a 1/8" male stereo jack at the end. The part furtherst
from the tip would take both the ground wires, and then I just have to
find which is the mike, and which is the earpiece.

Then I have to find out what the 4 wires in the coiled handset cord
are and connect them correctly. Is there any reason this won't work?
Any good ideas on how to best make the connection? Thanks.

Go to Next message: Brian Bergstein, AP: "Mesages That Go 'Poof' After Sending Them"
Go to Previous message: Reuters News Wire: "Google Decides to Publish the Ruling Against It"
May be reply: BrianEWilliams: "Re: Headset Hack"
May be reply: Ron Kritzman: "Re: Headset Hack"
May be reply: W Howard: "Re: Headset Hack"
May be reply: BrianEWilliams: "Re: Headset Hack"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page