TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Widow Leases Phones for 42 Years

Widow Leases Phones for 42 Years

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:00:18 PDT

An Ohio woman spent thousands of dollars leasing two rotary phones
over the course of four decades. Ester Strogen and her late husband
first got their hands on the rotary-dial devices in 1964, and the
Canton couple never saw a reason to cancel the contract, The
Repository reports. But now Strogen's granddaughters are buzzing mad,
estimating that their 82-year-old granny rang up more than $14,000 in
payments on the phones over the years. But Lucent Technologies says
they've got the wrong number -- the $29.10 fee was charged quarterly,
not monthly, so Strogen paid only about $2,000 over the lease's
lifetime, according to the telephone company. Now that the
granddaughters are on the case, the black rotary dinosaurs have been
replaced by push-button phones. And that makes Strogen sad. "I'd like
to have my rotary back," she said. "I like that better."

http://blog.wired.com/furthermore/index.blog?entry_id=1557341

Go to Next message: Carla K. Johnson AP: "Spamhuas Thumbs Nose at Eleven Million Dollar Judgment Against It"
Go to Previous message: Jim Haynes: "Dish Network unsolicited calls"
May be reply: support@sellcom.com: "Re: Widow Leases Phones for 42 Years"
May be reply: Paul W. Schleck: "Re: Widow Leases Phones for 42 Years"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page