TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?

Pete Romfh (promfhTAKE@OUThal-pc.org.invalid)
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:06:40 -0500

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Many companies today answer their phone with a long winded answer.
> As a customer, I find it annoying and distracting. Which do you
> think is best?

> a) "Jones & Co."

> b) "Good morning, Jones & Co."

> c) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking,
> how may I direct your call?"

> d) "Thank you for calling Jones & Co, this is John Smith speaking,
> how may I give you the best customer service ever today?"

> While waiting in line at the video store, the clerk had to answer
> the phone with D. To me, that was a waste of time, especially when
> other customers are waiting.

[public replies, please]

I concur with the group that D is totally smarmy. The one you missed
that annoys me the most is answering the phone with a question.

"Thanks for calling the help(less) line, this is Fred. May I have your
account number <or whatever>?"

If you give them a number they'll respond with the other 10 data
fields on their computer screen then finally ask, "How can I help you?".

Then there's the "Green, Pink, Yellow" variation. "The phone goes
*Green, Green, Green* ... so I *Pink" up the handset and say ...
*Yellow* this is Mujibar!!

Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
Go to Previous message: mc: "Re: Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Best Way to Answer a Business Phone?"