TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: We Live in a World of Redundancies

Re: We Live in a World of Redundancies

Paul (PSSawyer.does.not.want.spam@unh.BAD.EXAMPLE.edu)
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:48:16 UTC

mc <look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in

> The reason for having the telephone separate from the computer
> network (and even the electric power connection) is so that it will
> still work when the others don't.

> Imagine being completely incommunicado during a computer network
> failure.

This may have been valid 20 years ago, but even POTS is no longer on a
reserved pair all the way back to the CO.

Even though there is supposed to be standby power all the way, when I
have a power outage at home, the POTS line from Verizon fails within
about 10 seconds (probably at the SLIC across the street), while the
other line, from the cable TV service (not VOIP), keeps working.

Logic tells me it should be vice-versa.

Paul

Go to Next message: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Troubles With Mailing List"
Go to Previous message: Radium: "Re: Phone Numbers I am Interested In"
May be in reply to: Infoworld Newsfactor News Wire: "We Live in a World of Redundancies"