TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Three Texas Men With Cellphones Arrested on Terrorist Charges

Re: Three Texas Men With Cellphones Arrested on Terrorist Charges

Mr Joseph Singer (joeofseattle@yahoo.com)
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:19:38 PDT

Mark Crispin <MRC@cac.washington.edu> Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:29:25 -0700
wrote:

> The only way you can use handsets that were for Net10 or TracFone
> outside of their systems is if you have them reflashed with generic
> non-Net10 or TracFone specific firmware.

> Why would that be a problem? Is there some reason that makes these
> phones particularly difficult to reflash? Reflashing is trivial on
> most other phones.

You said it yourself. Reflashing is trivial on most *other* phones.
From what I understand reflashing Motorola is fairly easy. It's not
so for Nokia unless you have invested in the specialized equipment,
dongles, clips etc. to do it. Considering the value of the typical
phones used for TracFone or Net10 it's a lot of work for little
profit.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Cellular Roaming Tariffs"
Go to Previous message: Mr Joseph Singer: "Re: What's This Telephone Related Item?"
May be in reply to: Associated Press News Wire: "Three Texas Men With Cellphones Arrested on Terrorist Charges"