TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: X-Bar Switch Noise Levels

Re: X-Bar Switch Noise Levels

Wesrock@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:00:57 EDT

In a message dated Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:20:51 GMT, Carl Navarro
<cnavarro@wcnet.org> writes:

[ ... ]

> In a college town, Wednesday night was the day the kids called home,
> as Thursday night was drinking night :-)

In the early days of providing phones in every dorm room, SWBT
provided this service at the University of Oklahoma. This was done
with Step switches, probably under the centrex tariffs. There were
incessant complaints from students of overloads and unending busies.

SWBT did the usual busy studies, ending at 9 or 10 p.m. or whatever
the normal time for such studies. Sometoday finally suggested
extending the study an hour or two. This showed increasing usage as
the hour got later, and the busy study was finally extended long into
the wee hours of the night.

The busy hour turned out to be, I forget now whether it was 1 to 2
a.m. or 2 to 3 a.m. Reinforcement of the switches followed in quick
time (for a telco).

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: redefined: "Re: (Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under"
Go to Previous message: DLR: "Re: Bellsouth Keeps Calling"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page