TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Places That Use 911 For All Police Business

Re: Places That Use 911 For All Police Business

John Hines (jbhines@newsguy.com)
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:37:37 -0500

John L <johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of specific places where this is the case? I realize
> that most places you either call 311 or a POTS number.

In my case, in a suburb of Chicago, any response needing an actual
officer has to go thru 911, as that is the county wide dispatch
system.

AFAIK, only the city of Chicago has 311 in my area, not the surrounding
area.

Silly sig to prevent isp ad

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But John Levine asked about _non-emergency_
numbers, in other words, an officer is not needed. Every Chicago
suburb I know of has a seven-digit administrative number for the
police as well as 911. In fact, the state law several years ago which
established 911 required that every community also maintain a seven
digit administrative number. PAT]

Go to Next message: Joshua Putnam: "Re: Places That Use 911 For All Police Business"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Verizon 100-Mbps Broadband Home Router"
May be in reply to: John L: "Places That Use 911 For All Police Business"