TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: cookies vs. (Ab)use of Javascript

Re: cookies vs. (Ab)use of Javascript

Matt Simpson (net-news99@jmatt.net)
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:22:02 -0400

In article <telecom25.240.15@telecom-digest.org>, TELECOM Digest
Editor wrote:

> Would you rather see sites which use
> Javascript switch to using cookies? Both Amazon and Google, to use
> your two examples, make liberal use of cookies to keep track of
> users.

Actually, I would. I know what cookies can and can't do, and I know
that they are far less dangerous than Javascript. There's no way a
cookie can hose my machine the way Javascript can. And fears of
"keeping track of users" (which are tremendously overstated) can be
relieved by having the browser delete cookies at the end of the
session.

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "Vonage to Unveil Computer Phone This Week"
Go to Previous message: George Mitchell: "Re: (Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page