TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: (Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under

Re: (Ab)use of Javascript; was Re: Web Services Increasingly Under

George Mitchell (george@m5p.com)
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:40:14 -0700

Our moderator wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Would you rather see sites which use
> Javascript switch to using cookies? Both Amazon and Google, to use
> your two examples, make liberal use of cookies to keep track of
> users. PAT]

Absolutely! Cookies can't open and close windows in my browser or
run malicious software on my machine. I can restrict the lifetime of
cookies; in fact, I can refuse to store cookies on my system for any
longer than the current session. And as far as I can tell, I can run
amazon.com (the non-SSL part) and google.com under Lynx, refusing all
cookies altogether.

Google and Amazon are going to have to store any tracking information
about me on their own servers. (Which is certainly what the Bush
administration is hoping they will do.)

George Mitchell

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You have a good point there. PAT]

Go to Next message: Matt Simpson: "Re: cookies vs. (Ab)use of Javascript"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Two New Services Try to Warn You About Sleazy Sites"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page