TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Political Telemarketing Calls

Re: Political Telemarketing Calls

Mark Crispin (mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU)
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 06:19:02 -0700

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Lena wrote:

> I'm beginning to think that my daughter has the best solution. No
> Caller ID, no ACR, no Do Not Disturb"; all her calls go directly to
> the answering machine. If she happens to be around, hears the message
> and recognizes the voice, she picks up. Otherwise she calls back.
> Telemarketers hang up immediately.

That doesn't work, and hasn't for years now. There's a whole tribe of
telemarketer scum that leave prerecorded spam on voice mail and answering
machines. They hang up if they get a live person. They do this since
many voice mail systems lack the capability to stop playing the current
message and delete it without hearing the rest.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc

Go to Next message: Steven Lichter: "Re: Political Telemarketing Calls"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Connecticut OKs Plan by AT&T to Offer TV Without a Franchise"
May be in reply to: Steven Lichter: "Political Telemarketing Calls"