TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Political Telemarketing Calls

Re: Political Telemarketing Calls

Bob Vaughan (techie@tantivy.tantivy.net)
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:46:16 UTC

George Berger <gberger@his.com> wrote:

> Sorry, Fella' -

> When Congress passed the Do Not Call legislation, they deliberately left
> a very large and gaping hole, viz., Political entities are exempt.

Political entities are exempted from the Do Not Call list, but as far
as I can tell, they are not exempted from the delivery restrictions of
47 USC 64.1200:

(a) No person or entity may:

(1) Initiate any telephone call (other than a call made for emergency
purposes or made with the prior express consent of the called
party) using an automatic telephone dialing system or an
artificial or prerecorded voice,

(i) To any emergency telephone line, including any 911 line and
any emergency line of a hospital, medical physician or service
office, health care facility, poison control center, or fire
protection or law enforcement agency;

(ii) To the telephone line of any guest room or patient room of
a hospital, health care facility, elderly home, or similar
establishment; or

(iii) To any telephone number assigned to a paging service,
cellular telephone service, specialized mobile radio service,
or other radio common carrier service, or any service for which
the called party is charged for the call;

(3) Use a telephone faximile machine, computer, or other device to send
an unsolicited advertisement to a telephone faximile machine.

I have received two political campaign calls to my cellphone in the
last two weeks, one of which was a prerecorded pitch for a county
sales tax measure, and the other of which was a live human.

My cellphone is in a prefix assigned exclusively to cellular, and the
prefix serves cellular service in the northern San Francisco
peninsula, including San Mateo, and northern Santa Clara counties..

I'm sure that a large number of the phones in the prefix belong to
users who do not reside in the county of Santa Clara where the
measures are on the ballot.

I filed formal complaints with the FCC and FTC for both calls, and
read the riot act to the live human.

I have also received numerous calls from unidentified numbers, none of
which listened to my outgoing voicemail message, which demands that
telemarketers, political campaigns, and political parties place me on
their do-not-call list.

> Nice, eh? Did you expect legislators to cut themselves off from
> telephone fund-raising and "get out the vote" entreaties?

> George

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Go to Next message: Carly Mayberry: "Fill up With TV News While Getting Gas"
Go to Previous message: NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us: "Re: Political Telemarketing Calls"
May be in reply to: Steven Lichter: "Political Telemarketing Calls"