TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Balance Between National Security and Privacy?

Re: The Balance Between National Security and Privacy?

Wesrock@aol.com
Sat, 13 May 2006 20:35:12 EDT

In a message dated Fri, 12 May 2006 20:40:39 -0400, George Berger
<gberger@his.com> writes:

> The telephone companies keep records on telephone contacts (which number
> called which number) without going into the substance of the
> conversations. It's a "Point A to Point B" record. Is this "spying" by
> the telcoms? No. Millions of records are kept, probably without either
> your specific permission or knowledge that they keep every contact you
> make, or is made to you.

This may be true of toll calls, but why would they keep records, or
even make a record, of local calls which in most parts of the country
are flat rate unlimited? These records are of no value to the telco
nor to the customer.

Once a local call is taken down (disconnected) there is no reason to
record the historical fact.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I can tell you that since ESS became
the most common switching system, telco has had and maintains
records on _all_ calls. Whether or not the calls are billed for or
not (i.e. 'local' or 'toll'), there still is a record kept of them
for whatever reason, for reasons like CALEA and other things. PAT]

Go to Next message: Gordon Burditt: "Re: A Storm is Brewing Over Phone Record Collection"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Scan This Book!"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "The Balance Between National Security and Privacy?"