TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Should I Switch to Vonage?

Re: Should I Switch to Vonage?

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Sun, 07 May 2006 01:29:06 -0500

It was a dark and stormy night when Herb Stein <herb@herbstein.com>
wrote:

> Had you been having a heart attack, it would have actually been your
> LAST problem. And what's you option when the power goes out?

There's all sorts of levels of service. What do you do if 911 doesn't
work? (What would you have done before 911 was introduced?) What do
you do if the power is out? (What do you do if your phone is a
cordless and won't work without power?) What do you do if you're not
near a phone?

I don't see the fact that VOIP is innately a little less reliable than
landline as a show-stopper. You just need to understand the tradeoffs
before you dive in. Of course they should tell you. The same way as
the companies that sell cordless phones tell you that in event of a
power failure the phone is worthless. The same way that cell phone
companies tell you that there are locations where the phone won't
work.

Dave

Go to Next message: Ron Chapman: "Re: New York City Fires Employee for Surfing the Web"
Go to Previous message: Mark J: "Re: Should I Switch to Vonage?"
May be in reply to: Healthy Stealthy: "Should I Switch to Vonage?"