TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?

Re: Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?

Robert Weller (rweller@h-e.com)
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:41:05 -0700

Josh,

DNC is, presumably, the Democratic National Committee. Did you ever
donate money to the DNC or one of its daughter PACs? Even if you
don't have a "business relationship" with them, it is not clear to me
whether the "do not call" requirement of the Telephone Consumer
Privacy Act (TCPA) would apply to a PAC. It would not surprise me
that the US Congress, when it wrote the TCPA, would carve out some
exemption for PACs.

According to the FCC's website, the Do-Not-Call registry does not
prevent all unwanted calls. It does not cover the following:

Calls from organizations with which you have established a business
relationship;

Calls for which you have given prior written permission;

Calls which are not commercial or do not include unsolicited
advertisements;

Calls by or on behalf of tax-exempt non-profit organizations.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/donotcall/

Good luck!

Bob Weller

On Apr 25, 2006, at 9:37 PM, TELECOM Digest Editor wrote:

> From: Joshua Putnam <josh@phred.org>
> Subject: Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?
> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:52:03 -0700

> For most of a week now, I've been getting hang-up calls on my cell
> phone, showing a caller ID of 888-695-9405. If I call that number
> back, I get a recording thanking me for calling the DNC Hotline, and
> asking me to leave my number after the beep. I was reluctant at
> first, but after enough of these calls I did try leaving my number,
> but the calls keep coming.

> I've tried all the reverse lookup sites I could think of, none show
> that number. A Google search only turns up me asking, over in
> misc.consumers, if anyone knew who that number belonged to.

> After asking in misc.consumers, though, I have received email from
> other people who have received the same nuisance calls from the same
> number.

> * How do I find out who that number belongs to?

> * How do I know that's really the number calling me?

> * How, other than logging all these calls at www.donotcall.gov, do I
> get the calls to stop?

> Unfortunately, the cell phone they're calling is with Cingular, so
> customer service isn't the greatest.

> josh@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
> <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
> Braze your own bicycle frames. See
> http://www.phred.org/~josh/build/build.html

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "AT&T to Offer Movies Over Internet"
Go to Previous message: William Warren: "Re: Telecommunications Alternatives For The Distributed Workforce"
May be in reply to: Joshua Putnam: "Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?"