TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: When Did 2L-5N Become Required in Los Angeles?

Re: When Did 2L-5N Become Required in Los Angeles?

Steven Lichter (shlichter@sbcglobal.net)
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:18:37 GMT

In article telecom25.146.5@telecom-digest.org, Stephen Greenfield at
StephenG@Screenplay.com wrote on 4/17/06 23:39:

> Dear Patrick,

> I've been trying to research the date a particular sign was posted on
> my property in Glendale, California. When I saw that it had the
> company's name (Pacific Fence Co.) and a very old 2L-4N phone
> number ( Hillside 8141 ), I grew to wonder when Los Angeles would have
> made the transition to 2L-5N, because I could probably figure the sign
> predates that time.

> My property was built in 1926. I'm guessing that Los Angeles switched
> over sometime after WWII and before 1949, but I can't get a better fix
> on that. Any chance you know where to look?

> (I've been scanning old postings and digests, but haven't found anything
> definitive)/

> Best Regards,

> Stephen Greenfield
> StephenG@screenplay.com

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Perhaps some of our older readers who
> have been around Los Angeles for a half-century or so, or older
> readers who lived there in the 1940-60 era will be able to answer
> this. PAT]

Having lived in the San Fernando Valley through 1972, I remember having our
number changed from DImond XXXX to DImond1-XXXX in 1958 or 59.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Was the exchange name 'Dimond' or
'Diamond' (with the /a/ as the third letter)? PAT]

Go to Next message: T: "Re: Should Consumers Tape "Customer Service" Calls?"
Go to Previous message: Anthony Bellanga: "Re: When Did 2L-5N Become Required in Los Angeles?"
May be in reply to: Stephen Greenfield: "When Did 2L-5N Become Required in Los Angeles?"