TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Apple Computer 30th Birthday

Re: Apple Computer 30th Birthday

Andrew Hastings (nospam@sun.com)
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:04:54 -0500

DLR wrote:

>> Andrew Hastings <abh@nospam.acm.org> wrote:
>> (Extra credit: We've heard about Burroughs, Univac, and CDC. What
>> happened to the remaining two companies of the BUNCH: NCR and
>> Honeywell?)

> NCR was bought by AT&T?

> You skipped GE and Sperry.

AT&T bought NCR, then spun it off at the same time it spun off Lucent.
NCR lives on as a solutions company, after selling its hardware
business to Solectron.

Sperry == UNIVAC, discussed earlier by hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com.

GE was never part of the BUNCH, by definition:
B = Burroughs
U = Univac
N = NCR
C = CDC
H = Honeywell
By the time the BUNCH acronym was popular, GE had already sold its computer
business to Honeywell.

Honeywell sold its computer business to Groupe Bull in 1991. Honeywell lives
on, having merged with Allied Signal in 1999.

Go to Next message: Paul Vader: "Re: Apple Computer 30th Birthday"
Go to Previous message: John McHarry: "Re: Sprint vs Comcast For Phone Service"
May be in reply to: May Wong: "Apple Computer 30th Birthday"