TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Unusual Phishing Attempt

Re: Unusual Phishing Attempt

DLR (news22@raleighthings.com)
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 06:36:10 -0500

Jim Haynes wrote:

> What's unusual about this one is that they want you to phone a number
> to give away your personal data rather than sending it to a phony web
> page. Wonder who is on the other end of that phone number.

> Dear Brian, [which is not my name]
> Your recent order has been cancelled due to the billing information
> not verifying with your issuing bank. Please call our Payment
> Processing Department at 1-800-991-6828 with the correct
> information and we will be happy to assist you. Please disregard
> this message if we have spoken to you regarding this order.

> jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: If you received that letter in actual
> email I suggest they were possibly trying to avoid a scam. I called
> the number and tried to bluff them out; the woman who answered asked
> for my name and zip code (I gave bogus info) and she said she was
> unable to find an order 'from that zip code and name' for their
> various clients including 'Foot Locker' and a couple of other companies.
> I get the impression it is a legitimate payment processor. PAT]

And that would fit with the vast number of Debit/Visa cards canceled
recently. We've had 2 "auto-canceled" in the last week. I bet there is
a non-trivial number of on line orders that got initial approval and
then couldn't get the final charge approved at various places as the
cards were canceled.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: MPAA CacheLogic Announcement"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: Verizon's FiOS TV Service Takes Off in Texas"
May be in reply to: Jim Haynes: "Unusual Phishing Attempt"