TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Unusual Phishing Attempt

Unusual Phishing Attempt

Jim Haynes (haynes@alumni.uark.edu)
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:00:55 GMT

What's unusual about this one is that they want you to phone a number
to give away your personal data rather than sending it to a phony web
page. Wonder who is on the other end of that phone number.

Dear Brian, [which is not my name]
Your recent order has been cancelled due to the billing information
not verifying with your issuing bank. Please call our Payment
Processing Department at 1-800-991-6828 with the correct
information and we will be happy to assist you. Please disregard
this message if we have spoken to you regarding this order.

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: If you received that letter in actual
email I suggest they were possibly trying to avoid a scam. I called
the number and tried to bluff them out; the woman who answered asked
for my name and zip code (I gave bogus info) and she said she was
unable to find an order 'from that zip code and name' for their
various clients including 'Foot Locker' and a couple of other companies.
I get the impression it is a legitimate payment processor. PAT]

Go to Next message: trknoc@gmail.com: "Toll Free Area Restrictions"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "EarthLink Invests $50M in Covad to Expand VoIP"
May be reply: DLR: "Re: Unusual Phishing Attempt"
May be reply: Al Gillis: "Re: Unusual Phishing Attempt"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page