TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The 411 on Directory Assistance

Re: The 411 on Directory Assistance

Steven Lichter (shlichter@diespammers.com)
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:48:49 GMT

Monty Solomon wrote:

> By FRED A. BERNSTEIN
> The New York Times
> March 9, 2006

> Calling 411 for directory assistance can be maddeningly expensive.
> Carriers like Sprint and Verizon charge more than $1 and sometimes as
> much as $2 a call from a cellphone..

> And much of that is profit. Directory assistance "truly is a cash
> cow," said Saroja Girishankar, a vice president at the Pelorus Group,
> a telecommunications market research firm based in Raritan, N.J. She
> and other industry analysts said that the carriers paid wholesalers --
> who actually provide the 411 service -- from 25 to 50 cents a call.

> Naturally, the wireless carriers and directory assistance companies
> want to keep the cash cow in their barn. But increasingly, customers
> have access to free alternatives to 411. And as cellphones become more
> sophisticated, the options for avoiding paid directory assistance are
> multiplying.

> Already, two new services -- 800-FREE-411 and 800-411-METRO -- offer
> directory assistance free of charge, though users have to listen to
> advertisements.

> Other companies, including Google, offer free directory assistance via
> text message. Soon, voice-activated search engines may make it
> possible to bypass directory assistance entirely. One contender, the
> Maestro system, a voice-activated search engine being developed at
> Ben-Gurion University in Israel, will allow users to surf the Web just
> by speaking and listening.

> To keep users calling their paid 411 services, the major wireless
> carriers have added features like horoscopes, sports scores and stock
> prices. As cellular bandwidth increases, those offerings will go from
> voice to text to multimedia, said Tom Moran, executive director of
> product management and development for Verizon LiveSource.
> (LiveSource, owned by Verizon Communications, handles about 1 billion
> 411 calls a year for customers not only of Verizon Wireless, but of
> T-Mobile, Cingular and Alltel.)

> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/business/09cell.html?ex=1299560400&en=51a40b3b3f749c77&ei=5090

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not understand why people and
> companies keep insisting on paying _obscenely high_ rates for DA when
> there are so many alternatives to xxx-555-1212 and 411. The Directory
> Assistance service this Digest recommends -- mainly because I do make
> a wee bit of profit on it -- is 877-EASY-411. The charge is all of
> *65 cents* for one or two inquiries, and it is billed your credit card
> more or less monthly. (The inquiries for the month accumulated). 65
> cents per inquiry (or two) still makes money for the people who
> operate the program and five or six cents for the Digest. So imagine,
> if you will, the $1.25 to $2.00 per call charged by Verizon, AT&T,
> SBC, Cingular Wireless and others, to picture the rip offs in this
> business.

> [...]

I don't know how much of a profit it is since the DA from Cell phones
are handled by another company and the Telco contract with them.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2006 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Even from cell phones, you can and
should be using EASY-411. Just set up a speed dial button on your cell
phone; maybe '4' for example. Of course, first go onto
http://easy411.com and enroll that particular cellphone number, then
never again use your cellphone's directory service. PAT]

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: 25 Hz Power"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: Verizon Targets MDUs for FiOS Penetration"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "The 411 on Directory Assistance"