TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Bogus! The Container Store Wants Your Phone Number

Re: Bogus! The Container Store Wants Your Phone Number

davidesan@gmail.com
6 Mar 2006 07:48:13 -0800

Welcome back PAT!

I have yet to figure out why I need to do the market research for the
company that I'm doing business with. I'm not getting paid, I'm not
getting a price break from them. At least the supermarket affinity
card gives me discounts while they track my grocery purchases.

I usually refuse to give information. If they are insistent and I'm
not in the mood for a fight my zip is always 90210. Let the company
figure out what a Beverly Hills zip is doing among the 146?? numbers
in upstate New York. They ask for a phone number I'm at 202-456-1414
(which is the White House). I wonder what happens when they make that
sales call? I also use 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for an address. It
is amazing what spam I get offering me mortgage deals on my property.

My favorite recently was going to doctor's office. Our local Blue
Cross has just changed all the subscriber numbers from the Social
Security number to some random number. I hand over the new card so the
secretary can copy the new number down for her billing records. I tell
her what a good idea this is, how it avoids identity theft. (I did
skip my paranoia about the government checking out our medical
records). She agrees, and then asks me for my Social Security number
so they number my patient file. When I refuse, she got all huffy: How
can I fill out this form? The doctor won't be able to see you! I
suggested she make up a number, use that, or contact her supervisor
because if I was refused service I would contact Social Security and
they would have a nice discussion about legal uses of my SS number.
Needless to say, they found some way around the system.

Go to Next message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: Long-Term AT&T Investors"
Go to Previous message: Mark Burgess: "Request For Linking to Your Website"
May be in reply to: Ron Chapman: "Bogus! The Container Store Wants Your Phone Number"