TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: A Question About 'Dial 1' in USA Calling

Re: A Question About 'Dial 1' in USA Calling

Wesrock@aol.com
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 20:52:26 EST

In a message dated Sat, 04 Mar 2006 16:16:20 -0600, Stephen Sprunk
<stephen@sprunk.org> writes:

> Local calling regions are usually much, much smaller than a LATA.
> Most of the US can only dial neighboring exchanges for free. Even
> large cities like Chicago and Detroit don't have local calling across
> town, though a few others do. That's mostly a state PUC issue.

The Oklahoma City and Tulsa local calling areas are something like 75
miles across east-west and north-south. There are no zones or other
charges associated with making calls in this local calling area.

I believe the Oklahoma City local calling area is the most extensive
in the U.S.A. The Atlanta area is not quite as large but serves more
telephones (exchange access arrangements or whatever they are called
now).

These are all flat rate service.

Some of the places where cross-area code 7-digit was permitted, and
may still be, were local calls in the greater Kansas City area (816 in
Missouriand 913 in Kansas), Texarkana, Arkansas-Texas (that's the name
of the post office as well as the exchange), Coffeyville, Kansas, and
South Coffeyville, Oklahoma (Pat can furnish the area code for
Coffeyville, which is near Independence where he lives; South
Coffeyville is in 918).

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Coffeyville, KS is entirely
620-CLinton-1 (620-251) and South Coffeyville, OK is included in
the s.e. Kansas regional phone directory for Southwestern
Bell. Coffeyville has the occassional 620-252 number, just as
Independence (620-EDison-1)[331] has the occassional 620-332, but
those 'occassional' numbers are always entirely either either for
local government use or perhaps cell phones. Coffeyville gets local
calling to S. Coffeyville. PAT]