TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby

Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
31 Jan 2006 07:06:30 -0800

David wrote:

> The advantage of the passport is that it does not have address. It
> also does not have SSN (or a key that is easily cross-referenced to
> SSN).

For simple ID in cases like this the passport will work. But to say
open a bank account I wonder if banks will accept a document that does
not have an address and a key number. In other words, when they ask
for your license, they record that key number and your address.

> You can have a driver's license and a passport (I don't believe
> you're really allowed to have the license and the non-license ID).

True. I wanted to get a non driver's ID card for this very reason;
plus I wanted to keep my driver's history separate. In other words,
if a cop stops me while walking down the street, he has no need to see
my driver's license, just some official ID. (A passport would be
useful, unless he wanted an official address as well.) But you're
only allowed to get a non driver's ID if you can't drive. They appear
to be rather fussy about giving them out.

> I'll use my passport when I know I'm going to need specific ID (new
> job, getting a mortgage, etc.).

My only concern would be losing your passport. Is it hard to replace
if lost or stolen?

Go to Next message: Dale Farmer: "Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Challenge to Hospitality: The ID Check in the Lobby"