TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Bush Demanding Google Search Records in Porn Probe

Re: Bush Demanding Google Search Records in Porn Probe

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:14:02 -0600

It was a dark and stormy night when Associated Press News Wire
<ap@telecom-digest.org> wrote:

> The Bush administration, seeking to revive an online pornography law
> struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court, has subpoenaed Google Inc. for
> details on what its users have been looking for through its popular
> search engine.

And the reason you haven't seen similar stories about AOL, Yahoo, and
MSN is that AOL, Yahoo, and MSN didn't make a fuss, they just handed the
info on their users over to the government.

Update: Earlier today, I asked a Justice Department spokesperson which
search engines other than Google received requests to provide search
records. The answer: Yahoo, AOL, and MSN were also asked to supply
search records information, and all complied. Google did not, and that
is why the DoJ asked a federal judge on Wednesday to order the company
to do so.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/19/_doj_search_requests.html

Go to Next message: chopcat: "Re: BlackBerry Devices to Offer Mac Support"
Go to Previous message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: AT&T Billing Us For MDNS Account Closed Three Years Ago"
May be in reply to: Associated Press News Wire: "Bush Demanding Google Search Records in Porn Probe"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page