TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Payphone Surcharges (was Unanswered Cellphones)

Re: Payphone Surcharges (was Unanswered Cellphones)

Seth Breidbart (sethb@panix.com)
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:19:09 +0000 (UTC)

<hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> The only charge I've seen posted on pay phones is the initial deposit
> for a "local" call. I have NOT seen signage how many minutes that
> charge covers, nor how far the "local" calling area covers. It's easy
> to get burned on over time charges -- is it 50 cents per each minute
> or for ten minutes?

I just checked the payphones in the lobby where I work. It's 50 cents
for 5 minutes.

> Please allow me to elaborate.

> I was in a convention center and wanted something to eat. In the
> hallway they had stands with hot dogs and soda. The prices were
> enormous. Now, I knew the area and knew I could get other food about a
> block away by foot, but I was tired, in a rush, and chose to pay the
> higher price rather than make the effort to walk around for something
> cheaper. The point is that here I had a choice to pay double or not.

For someone at the same convention who didn't know the neighborhood,
was the same vendor charging the same price "extortion"?

Seth

Go to Next message: Lena: "Re: In With the New E-Mail, Out With the Old"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page