TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?

Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?

DevilsPGD (spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net)
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:54:58 -0700

In message <telecom24.581.7@telecom-digest.org> DevilsPGD
<spam_narf_spam@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> In message <telecom24.580.3@telecom-digest.org> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
> wrote:

>> If you call a cellphone (without voicemail) and it doesn't answer,
>> after a few rings an intercept recording will come on and tell you the
>> party is not available and terminate the call.

>> When you reach that recording, is that call chargeable? I don't think
>> it should be since it was unanswered, but my experience is that one
>> does get charged.

> In general, it's not chargeable. However, some systems get "confused"
> (intentionally misbill, since the consumer probably won't notice, and
> the company need only refund the amount of the overcharge, so there is
> little risk.)

> (TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: However, considering that a cell phone
> is normally always within its owner's reach (a holster fastened to
> your trousers, in your purse, in a holder near the driver of an
> automobile, etc) it would seem very odd that it had to ring more than
> three or four times, at best, unanswered. PAT]

Good theory, but a lot of people don't have their cell phones glued to
them 24/7 (I do, but most of my family does not)

In message <telecom24.581.8@telecom-digest.org> Anthony Bellanga
<anthonybellanga@spam-poison.com> wrote:

> And using a calling card from a payphone can be significant these
> days since the payphone owner can now "legally" extort huge charges
> from the long distance carrier or card provider, who will then extort
> those surcharges from us.

No extortion involved. If someone held a gun to your head or
otherwise forced you to use the payphone, it would be extortion.

Since you choose to use a payphone, you choose to absorb that cost. A
cost, which is regulated, and which helps telcos continue to run pay
phones at all, since they're not generally considered profitable
anymore, at least around here.

Go to Next message: Anthony Bellanga: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones"
Go to Previous message: Steven Lichter: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"