TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?

Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?

Steven Lichter (shlichter@diespammers.com)
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:08:43 GMT

John Levine wrote:

>> When you reach that recording, is that call chargeable?

> Of course not.

>> I called a few times using my Calling Card but couldn't reach him
>> and I was billed for the calls.

> I suspect your calling card was charging you for any call over N
> seconds rather than checking for supervision. I make test calls from
> my landline to my cell numbers in Luxembourg and Switzerland from time
> to time, hanging up once my phone starts ringing, and I don't ever
> recall being charged unless I answered.

> R's,

> John

I know in the days before SS7 some companies that interconnected with
the telephone netwoek did not have supervision, one was SprintNet
which at the time was a dial around system where you would call toll
free number and then your account # and the number you wanted to call.
Some cell systems where like this and still maybe, though it would
have to be a really old and small system.

DevilsPGD wrote:

> In message <telecom24.580.3@telecom-digest.org> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
> wrote:

>> If you call a cellphone (without voicemail) and it doesn't answer,
>> after a few rings an intercept recording will come on and tell you the
>> party is not available and terminate the call.

>> When you reach that recording, is that call chargeable? I don't think
>> it should be since it was unanswered, but my experience is that one
>> does get charged.

> In general, it's not chargeable. However, some systems get "confused"
> (intentionally misbill, since the consumer probably won't notice, and
> the company need only refund the amount of the overcharge, so there is
> little risk.)

> (TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: However, considering that a cell phone
> is normally always within its owner's reach (a holster fastened to
> your trousers, in your purse, in a holder near the driver of an
> automobile, etc) it would seem very odd that it had to ring more than
> three or four times, at best, unanswered. PAT]

I have friends that have not configured their voiced mail. I know
when I first got a cell phone that had voice mail, I did not configure
it and when I finally did I got so many calls to it, I reset it and it
took me a long time to get around to doing it again. I tend to shut
mine off when I'm off work.

Anthony Bellanga wrote:

> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> If you call a cellphone (without voicemail) and it doesn't answer,
>> after a few rings an intercept recording will come on and tell you
>> the party is not available and terminate the call.

>> When you reach that recording, is that call chargeable? I don't
>> think it should be since it was unanswered, but my experience is
>> that one does get charged.

>> A few years ago I was meeting a friend at a convention, and I was
>> to call his cell phone from a pay phone upon my arrival. His cell
>> phone number was long distance from that point. I called a few
>> times using my Calling Card but couldn't reach him and I was billed
>> for the calls. I complained and they took it off.

>> Now I realize most people today have such low per-call fees (ie 10c)
>> so this isn't an issue, but there are times from a pay phone, long
>> distance, or peak period cell phone roaming where the per-call
>> charge is indeed significant, even as much as a dollar or more per
>> minute.

> And using a calling card from a payphone can be significant these
> days since the payphone owner can now "legally" extort huge charges
> from the long distance carrier or card provider, who will then extort
> those surcharges from us.

>> It doesn't seem to fair to charge for unanswered calls. I don't
>> know if traditional supervision (call answered) signals are passed
>> back from cell phone switches.

> Answer supervision is indeed passed back from cellular service
> switches. But remember that these days (and even in times past as
> well), standardization is not perfect. And it isn't always consistant
> as to which cellular providers will supervise back your calls to
> such messages. It can vary from switch to switch within the same
> cellular provider as to whether you are charged or not for reaching
> such a "subscriber not available" (vacant) message.

> Even with traditional landline providers, sometimes you can find a
> charge condition on reaching intercepts (which are really the digit
> by digit quote back systems), and "vacant condition" recordings. And
> as I said, there were times this happened even in years past, back
> when the telephone industry in the US was still mostly managed by
> AT&T and Bell.

> If you are concerned, make a note of such calls, and check to see
> if they were indeed billed when the bill arrives. And then complain
> to your long distance company or card provider to get a credit.

I know that when I first got mine, if you let it ring more then 3
rings Pacific Telephone Cellular (later AirTouch) would charge you as
it would if you let a busy tone go too long. I remember calling one
of our switchroom numbers which was set for no supervision and getting
charged for the call as well as a couple of times being dropped off
since the originating switch was looking for supervision and when it
got none it would timeout, that was before SS7 and when there was
still a "C" lead in the switch.

The only good spammer is a dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2005 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot in Hell Co.

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"
Go to Previous message: Reuters News Wire: "Mobile Phones to Announce "You've Been Indicted""
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Unanswered Calls to Cell Phones?"