TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas

Re: NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas

Seth Breidbart (sethb@panix.com)
Sun, 25 Dec 2005 01:49:56 UTC

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: For someone who has no control over the
> matter (as you claim about Bloomberg) he sure does a lot of talking
> about the strike and taking credit for ending it Thursday afternoon.

He's a politician, therefore he takes credit for anything he can.

> Why don't we hear him saying, "Sorry, that's not my department, you
> will need to talk to the transit workers and their managers."?

If the strike had lasted another three weeks he would have.

> And yes, I _know_ the one is a state agency and the other is a
> municipal government ... duh! But you should know that when Bloomberg
> says 'jump' everyone asks 'how high?', etc.

Then why can't he get the commuter tax back? (There used to be a NYC
Income Tax for non-residents of the city who worked there, but the
state turned it off. Turning it on to lower taxes paid by city
residents who vote for mayor would help Bloomberg.)

> The union does not require ineffeciency, or no more so than the
> government bosses.

Then why do all efficiency improvements require negotiation with the
union, and generally giving the union something in return?

Seth

Go to Next message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: As Decency Issue Boils, Comcast Sets a Family Tier"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Florida Attorney General: My Email is Not Spam!"
May be in reply to: Desmond Butler: "NYC Transit Strike Midst Cold Weather and Christmas"