TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cell Phone Extenders?

Re: Cell Phone Extenders?

AES (siegman@stanford.edu)
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:25:55 -0800

In article <telecom24.577.6@telecom-digest.org>, Rik
<hrasmussen@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> These devices are illegal to install and operate. Only a licensee is
> authorized by the FCC to install these devices. The fact that they are
> easily purchased does not make them legal to use.

> They are frequently the source of interference to commercial wireless
> systems and more importantly, they are frequently the source of
> interference to Public Safety radio systems.

> There have been recent instances of law enforcement showing up at a
> location where one of these devices is in use and demanding it be
> disabled to stop interference to their radio system.

I had no idea this was the case -- and maybe it explains why Googling
on the topic brought up such a mixed bag of mostly not very useful

So, here's a Verizon customer, sitting at the north end of Silicon
Valley, not way out in the hills, just a mile or two from downtown
Palo Alto -- and less than one tower in the display on my phone. Any
advice on how to approach Verizon about this?

Go to Next message: Seth Breidbart: "Re: As Decency Issue Boils, Comcast Sets a Family Tier"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Sun Sets on Transit Strike"
May be in reply to: AES: "Cell Phone Extenders?"