TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wikpedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis

Re: Wikpedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis

Adam Frix (afrix@runbox.com)
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:08:38 -0500

In article <telecom24.564.15@telecom-digest.org>, kludge@panix.com
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> I had no idea that Wikipedia had any credibility to question. Do
> people really take these things seriously? --scott

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Wikipedia _is_ considered an important
> source of information on the net in many circles. There are many
> experts (in their field) who have written for it and peer-review the
> things others have written, however the two recent 'pranks' played on
> them have damaged their credibility somewhat. PAT]

No matter how many "experts in their field" who contribute, Wikipedia
is still nothing more than "I read it on the internet, therefore it
must be true".

Students write whatever they want into the Wikipedia, then quote it
and reference the Wiki in their school work.

The work of experts can be undone by a simple prankster, eh? Sounds
like a bad idea to me. Next time it won't be a prankster, it'll be
someone who isn't an expert but only THINKS he's an expert -- and then
who's to say what you believe?

No, the whole concept of the Wikipedia was flawed to begin with --
because of simple human nature.

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: HSI and Diverted 1-800-CALL-ATT?"
Go to Previous message: Dave Garland: "Re: Wikpedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis"
May be in reply to: Agence France Press : "Wikpedia Becomes Internet Force, But Faces Crisis"