TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Bell System Service Standard 'Green Books'- What is Used Now?

Bell System Service Standard 'Green Books'- What is Used Now?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
14 Dec 2005 12:16:42 -0800

I understand until the end of the old Bell System, AT&T published
service standard indexes in something called the "Green Book". This
was a collection of indexes that quantified service and performance
quality in a variety of ways (billing accuracy, dial tone time, etc.)

Would anyone know if the baby Bells replaced that with anything? Do
the non-traditional carriers (ie VOIP) have any such performance
standards?

Some standards may be obsolete due to replacement of expensive
electro-mechanical equipment with ESS. I suspect today the local,
intermediate, and long haul land-side networks have more capacity than
in the past. For example, obviously we don't want long waits for dial
tone. However, an instantaneous dial tone at all times for all
customers would push the index too far into the opposite direction and
in the old days that mean excessive expensive equipment was in use.
On the other hand, incomplete call completion and call cutoffs remain
a problem on wireless calls.

[public replies, please]

Go to Next message: Lisa Reyes: "IEC's Broadband World Forum Asia Presents IPTV Developments"
Go to Previous message: Robert McMillan: "Attack Targets Mozilla Firefox"
May be reply: Steven Lichter: "Re: Bell System Service Standard 'Green Books'- What is Used Now?"
May be reply: AES: "Re: Bell System Service Standard 'Green Books'- What is Used Now?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page