TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:48:14 -0000

DevilsPGD <spamsucks@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> In message <telecom24.518.13@telecom-digest.org>
> bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

>> In article <telecom24.517.15@telecom-digest.org>,
>> CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

>>> How does one eavesdrop on a Digital Spread Spectrum (DSS) 900MHz
>>> cordless phone? I would have thought that with the spreading code
>>> being changed every time the phone is put into the base, they would be
>>> essentially uncrackable, like CDMA cell phones.

>> The phone and the base station have to negotiate the spreading code
>> used for each session. If you can eavesdrop on that negotiation, you
>> _can_ predict the frequency hops, rendering it 'trivial' to track as a
>> third-party listener.

> Sure, except that the negotiation is typically performed by the base
> and handset via a wired connection OR at extremely low power (since it
> only happens when they're physically connected)

What happens if you turn the handset off, then back on, when it is
_out_ of the base?

Go to Next message: Dan Oldenburg: "Last Laugh! Bitch Dog Gets Cable Subscription"
Go to Previous message: Patrick Townson: "A Question Please About my Purchase"
May be in reply to: rlittle@thetasoft.com: "Replacement for Siemens Gigaset"