TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: If You Would Like to Get Away From ICANN Oversight and Registrars

Re: If You Would Like to Get Away From ICANN Oversight and Registrars

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
14 Nov 2005 20:02:30 -0000

> .tf is the "French Southern Territories" -- a group of 4 *UNINHABITED*
> islands

The domain was run by AdamsNames in the UK, which handle a bunch of
other vanity country domains, until the French government noticed,
grabbed it back, and put it under the same management as .fr. Once
the current vanity registrations expire, you're not likely to see
anything in it other than perhaps the research stations located there.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I don't suppose you know about '.ms'
> do you?

That's Montserrat, a small Caribbean island that is nearly uninhabited
due to an erupting volcano. It's been a popular location for "free"
porn chat since they have +1 numbers and very high rates. Their
registry is also run by AdamsNames.

> http://cydots.com offers .ms on a self-registering basis.

No, they offer third level subdomains in .net.ms, etc., which are fine
so long as Cydots feels like doing so. The moment they lose interest,
all of those 3rd level domains disappear.

By the way, be sure never to look at IANA's list of country domains at
http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm, since then you will
actually know what they are and who runs them, and it'll be a lot
harder to concoct rumors about them.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: beavis: "Re: Sony BMG "Service Pack 2a""
Go to Previous message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: If You Would Like to Get Away From ICANN Oversight and Registrars"
May be in reply to: Patrick Townson: "If You Would Like to Get Away From ICANN Oversight and Registrars"