TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

Garrett Wollman (wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu)
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:58:39 UTC

In article <telecom24.516.9@telecom-digest.org>, Diamond Dave
<dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.DOTcom> wrote:

> Most are probably worrying about hacking the campus computer system to
> change their grades.

We're talking about hacking, not cracking; if I were an MIT student
rather than a mere employee, those would be fighting words. (Although
an MIT lifer might well be amused at your reference to "the campus
computer system" -- the last time you could say "*the* campus computer
system" would have been fifty years ago at least. Forrester et al
invented core memory in 1949 and I don't think there's been a moment
since the early '50s when there have not been multiple computers on
campus. I don't know anything about the systems that store private
student information -- that's about as far from my job as you can get
-- but I do know that the Institute takes its FERPA responsibilities
seriously.)

Garrett A. Wollman | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wollman@csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own
Opinions not those | search for greater freedom.
of MIT or CSAIL. | - A. Kennedy, Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003)

Go to Next message: Thomas A. Horsley: "Re: Can You Still Build a PC For Less?"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page