TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)

Tony P. (kd1s.nospam@nospam.cox.nosapm.net)
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:12:44 -0500

wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu says:

> In article <telecom24.515.5@telecom-digest.org>, Joe Morris
> <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote:

>> Thread drift question: how common are successful hacking (old
>> definition of the word "hack") attempts against MIT's 5ESS?

> I've never heard of one, although that doesn't necessarily mean
> anything, since I don't know the people who manage it. According to
> the first hit on Google, it's located in E19, with extensions in 24
> and NW12 (i.e., the usual places for network gear). I have no idea
> where in E19 it is, or how well-secured those locations are -- but
> phone blocks are exposed in a whole bunch of locations that are
> probably easier to access. There's also the additional challenge that
> many lines, particularly "class A" lines with unlimited access, are
> ISDN lines using the AT&T proprietary BRI signalling to communicate
> with 7506 desk phones. But telephone equipment is ancient history;
> who would want to mess with that when there are *computers* around?!

I'm not sure but don't most AT&T switches have INAD ports built into
them? AT&T's method of security is a prominent notice that
unauthorized access is illegal. Not to mention that newer gear (or
updated for that matter) has IP access.

And actually the 5E probably has some serious horsepower and there are
still those who might want to phreak it.

The 7506 -- I'm not familiar with that model so I googled. Looks very
much like a 7406 except the speaker, mute, etc. buttons are in the
wrong place.

Go to Next message: Garrett Wollman: "Re: MIT's 5ESS: (was: NN0 Central Office Codes)"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "NYC Taxis Prepare to go Wireless, With a Back-Seat Upgrade"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page