TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Life Beyond Earth

Re: Life Beyond Earth

Linc Madison (lincmad@suespammers.org)
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:06:19 -0700

In article <telecom24.446.17@telecom-digest.org>, Brad Guth
<ieisbradguth@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This "Life beyond Earth?" is yet another very nicely composed
> article. However, I've also noticed as to how nicely you've avoided
> the nearest of such orbs as having been perfectly good for another
> chapter or two within your "Life beyond Earth" topic, that are by far
> the most humanly accessible and should perhaps remain as keen
> interest to humanity for less than a penny on the dollar.

> Are you and your readers up for the task of an icy proto-moon or
> that of Venus?

In order to go explore an icy proto-moon of earth, there first has to
actually EXIST an icy proto-moon of earth.

As for Venus, we're more likely to play a soccer match against the
folks from Alpha Centauri than to find recognizable life on Venus.
Although it is obviously possible that some radically different form
of life exists elsewhere in the universe, all life on earth is
dependent on the existence of liquid water, which is completely absent
on Venus.

To bring this back to some shred of telecom relevance, I was at a
shopping mall this afternoon and saw a whole *booth* devoted to
products to protect me from the risk that my cellphone could cause
brain cancer. The products included some hands-free ear pieces that at
least move the source of radiation away from your brain, which would
significantly reduce the danger if there actually were any danger to
begin with. However, they also included some little metallic stickers
to place over the speaker grille of the cellphone itself, for people
who insist on holding the phone right up against their brain cases.
Those would be utterly superfluous even if there were a real risk, but
they claim to reduce harmful radiation by up to 78%. Where is the
bunko squad when you need them?

Linc Madison * San Francisco, California * lincmad@suespammers.org
<http://www.LincMad.com> * primary e-mail: Telecom at LincMad d0t c0m
Read my political blog, "The Third Path" <http://LincMad.blogspot.com>
DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED E-MAIL TO THIS ADDRESS. You have been warned.

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Vonage and the 500 Minute Plan"
Go to Previous message: Henry Cabot Henhouse III: "Re: Dispute Leads to Internet Woes for Thousands of Users"
May be in reply to: Peter N. Spotts: "Life Beyond Earth"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page