TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief

Re: An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief

shlichter1@aol.com
23 Aug 2005 05:43:38 -0700

DevilsPGD wrote:

> In message <telecom24.380.11@telecom-digest.org> J Kelly
> <jkelly@*newsguy.com> wrote:

>> The problem with checks is that all I need is your routing and account
>> number, and guess what? Those are printed on every one of your checks
>> in plain human readable numerals. I can print up new checks on my
>> computer with any ID on them I want, and your account number. I can
>> start passing them around town same as your sneak thief. And guess
>> what? I can easily get a fake ID to match the ID of the person I put
>> on the check. Checks are terribly insecure.

> You also need a signature, at least if you want the money to come from
> my account.

> Now you obviously don't care if a merchant gets screwed since you've
> long since run off with the goods, but for the consumer, it's not as
> bad as the above makes it sound.

Most banks don't even look at the signature, that is unless the check
it presented in person at the issuers bank.

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Debate Over Cell Phone Towers Growing"
Go to Previous message: J Kelly: "Re: An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "An Exciting Weekend With a Sneak Thief"