TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Nextel False Advertising

Re: Nextel False Advertising

Ron Chapman (ronchapman@wideopenwest.com)
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:41:05 -0400

wollman@khavrinen.csail.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman) wrote:

> In article <telecom24.347.18@telecom-digest.org>, PAT writes:

>> (2)"Although we do serve a large portion of the public and are
>> considered 'nationwide', we only serve mostly people centered near
>> major interstate highways and in larger cities successfully"

> Look closely at the advertising and you'll probably find that they do
> say that. There's probably some fine print to the tune of "nationwide
> coverage claims based on 89% of US population". That means that they
> don't claim to serve the least-economical 11% of the country, as
> determined by population, which is of course a huge land area. They
> could exclude all of Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas and still meet
> that claim. (In actuality, they probably do serve, KCK, Wichita,
> Omaha, Lincoln, Sioux Falls, Fargo, and Bismarck -- just not the
> hundreds of miles of small towns and farms in between.)

> Their Web site is quite honest about this (much more so than most
> carriers' coverage maps that I have seen):

> <http://www.nextel.com/en/coverage/index.shtml>

Take a look at TMobile's web site and their "Personal Coverage Check".
It's FAR more detailed than what Nextel has; it amounts to a
topographical map of signal quality.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Nextel False Advertising"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "Re: Nextel False Advertising"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "Nextel False Advertising"