TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Call My SIP Phone Over the Internet?

Call My SIP Phone Over the Internet?

timeOday (timeOday-UNSPAM@theknack.net)
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:01:40 -0600

At home I use Vonage for phone service, so my phone is attached to the
Internet.

I travel reasonably often but don't have a cellphone. Increasingly,
hotels are charging ridiculous prices even for local and 1-800 calls,
but I do have broadband Internet because I need it for work, so they
pay.

Finally my question, can I get SIP on my laptop, and call home,
bypassing the POTS (and for that matter, Vonage) entirely? (I realize
I could do PC-to-PC calling to my home computer from my laptop, but it
will never work unless my wife can just pick up the normal phone).

Go to Next message: Christopher Sabine: "Looking For Retailer of Office Telephone System"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Windows Genuine Advantage 1.0 Goes Live"
May be reply: Dean M.: "Re: Call My SIP Phone Over the Internet?"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Call My SIP Phone Over the Internet?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page