TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster

Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster

Tim Keating (NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1)
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:38:18 -0400

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:57:17 -0600, Phil Earnhardt <pae@dim.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 04:49:13 -0400, Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com>
> wrote:

>> By MATT RICHTEL and JOHN MARKOFF

>> Mr. Tucker, an Internet industry executive who holds a Ph.D. in
>> computer science, decided that rather than take the time to remove the
>> offending software, he would spend $400 on a new machine.

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And how long do they have those _new_
>> machines until they also get polluted and have to be replaced? [...]

> If he spends that $400 (actually, $499 or so) on a Mac Mini, he can
> probably go for a good long time. There are no known viruses on OS/X.

> I don't know if anything bad can happen from using IE on the Mac; I
> don't believe so. Safari is not perfect, but it works just fine for
> almost all of my browsing. One thing I like in Safari: there is a
> pull-down option in Safari for resetting *everything*: cache, cookies,
> etc. I do this periodically -- I like to flush all my cookies
> periodically just as a regular practice.

> The only real software people will need in general is Office 2004. For
> most, the student edition should work just fine for their home needs.
> If there is not a lot of need for compatibility, the $80 iWork package
> (Presentation software + Apple word processor) should work just fine.
> The main thing lacking in iWork is a spreadsheet; Apple should address
> that in the next release.

"Open Office" runs just fine on MAC's. (variant of BSD). No need to
spend any monies purchasing M$ Office 2004.

Go to Next message: Tim Keating: "Re: Mossberg: Tracking Cookies are Spyware"
Go to Previous message: Kenneth P. Stox: "Re: Western Electric - Major Works - Status Today?"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster"