TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Camelot on the Moon - From Our Archives

Re: Camelot on the Moon - From Our Archives

Jeffrey Mattox (jmat@nowhere-around-here))
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:22:14 -0500

(Please withhold my email address.)

For more about the moon walk video, I recommend a terrific Australian
movie, The Dish, which theatrically documents the Australian role in
receiving the video from the moon.

From Yahoo! Movies:

Based on a true story, THE DISH takes a smart, witty, comical look
at the differing cultural attitudes between Australia and the U.S.
while revisiting one of the greatest events in history.

Although the Australian radio telescope shown in the movie, Parkes,
was receiving video when the moon walk begin, it was not that video
which most of the world actually saw. Starting a few minutes after
the first step, Parkes was the main source. The movie dose not
mention this and that caused some controversy in Australia. But the
movie is accurate in most other respects.

Here's a great description and photos about "Operations at Parkes":

http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/apollo11/parkes_operations.html

About the Parkes and Honeysuckle Creek controversy:

http://www.honeysucklecreek.net/Apollo_11/PKS_and_HSK.html

More about the movie's accuracy:

http://www.outreach.atnf.csiro.au/visiting/parkes/looselybased.html

Jeff

"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." -- from The Dish

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: For Surfers, a Roving Hot Spot That Shares"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Camelot on the Moon - From Our Archives"
May be in reply to: Patrick Townson: "Camelot on the Moon - From Our Archives"