TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Don't Let Data Theft Happen to You

Re: Don't Let Data Theft Happen to You

Jim Rusling (usenet@rusling.org)
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:13:43 -0500

John Smith <user@example.net> wrote:

> Jim Rusling wrote:

>> I would worry about the security of the wireless connection.

> Well, I wouldn't worry about it. I would recognize the obvious
> necessity of high-grade encryption for any and all financial
> transactions, but I don't think "worrying" would be the right word to
> use.

> If you're determined to worry, consider this: In Paris, at least, you
> have a substantially greater risk of having your card number
> compromised by pickpockets than by packet sniffers.

Instead of worry, how about concerned? Without doing some research,
how do I know that the site is secure? I recently ran into a
completely open wireless network at a business with sensitive records.
The owner thought that it was secured. He immediately called the
company that installed it and had them come out to secure it. Things
bad do happen.

Jim Rusling More or Less Retired Mustang, OK

http://www.rusling.org

Go to Next message: Justa Lurker: "Re: Camelot on the Moon - From Our Archives"
Go to Previous message: Lisa Metcalf: "866 383 0986"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Don't Let Data Theft Happen to You"