TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage and E911: Customer Service Response

Re: Vonage and E911: Customer Service Response

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:42:26 -0700

RodneyG wrote:

> I wrote to Vonage Customer Service today (I am a customer) and told
> them I found out that another VoIP provider (Time-Warner RoadRunner)
> in my city (Charlotte, NC) could provide me with true E911. I asked
> why Vonage could not. I further asked when I could expect true E911
> from Vonage.

> Below is the response, a direct quotation. I admit I haven't been
> following all the twists and turns 100%, but isn't this reply a bit of
> a stretch (or worse) from what we know? Or did I miss something?

The CSR's response is in line with what I understand to be the case
(that VoIP providers are being required by the FCC to start offering
E911 within the next couple months).

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That was their entire response? I guess
> technically, they are correct. FCC gave them all 90 days to comply, as
> of mid-May. So mid-June (1), mid-July (2) and mid-August (3) gets us
> to 90 days, around to approximatly the end of the summer. You'd think
> that Kristen might have elaborated on it just a little; but who knows,
> maybe the bosses told Kristen to avoid any conversations with
> customers on the topic while they (the bosses) try to worm their way
> into an extension of time, either formally or informally. Maybe they
> told Kristen to be most careful about saying anything which could be
> construed as a 'promise' or a 'commitment'. PAT]

I don't know about the former, but I'm sure the latter did happen.

JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Go to Next message: RodneyG: "Re: Vonage and E911: Customer Service Response"
Go to Previous message: Dale Farmer: "Re: Where to Buy a Cellular Phone Jammer?"
May be in reply to: RodneyG: "Vonage and E911: Customer Service Response"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page