TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Where to Buy a Cellular Phone Jammer?

Re: Where to Buy a Cellular Phone Jammer?

Dale Farmer (dale@cybercom.net)
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:11:46 GMT

Steve Sobol wrote:

> Dale Farmer wrote:

>> after the root causes of the bad behavior, then by blocking this or
>> that object from functioning, or making the object more difficult to
>> obtain legally for the ordinary citizen.

> So what legitimate reasons are there to use a cell phone jammer? (Note
> that I said legitimate, not legal.)

The only reason I can think of offhand is for a bomb squad to use to
block one possible source of remote detonation. I started to type
that a hostage situation would also be one, but then it occurred to me
that there may be non-hostage innocents trapped in there as well, who
might want to call the police for assistance in escaping. A cell
phone enabled scanner would be indicated, and a quick call trace from
the cellular carrier when needed.

Fred Atkinson wrote:

>> And here you fall into that common fallacy. 'We can't have these
>> people doing this bad behavior that we outlawed. So lets ban one of
>> their instrumentalities to stop their bad behavior.' Remember how
>> effective those laws against flagrant beeper use in the 80s were at
>> stopping the drug dealers? You would be far better served by going
>> after the root causes of the bad behavior, then by blocking this or
>> that object from functioning, or making the object more difficult to
>> obtain legally for the ordinary citizen.

> And *you* think that you are going to stop the black market trade and
> the self abusive behaviors that goes on inside of prisons by 'dealing
> with it'? I'm afraid you're in never never land. It's not going to
> happen.

Solving the problems of bad stuff happening in prisons by blocking
just one or a couple bands of radio frequency is not going to happen
either.

> Using technology like this for better security in our prisons isn't a
> bad idea.

> Fred

Except it doesn't work. Better to put scanners up and listen to their
transmissions.

--Dale

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Vonage and E911: Customer Service Response"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Grokster Decision Launches Debate"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page